Veterans Community Support Coordinator
How many veterans are homeless? Do we really know? This question was answered on January 21, 2011 when the Homeless Coalition of Hillsborough County conducted a homeless count and concluded that:
- 17, 755 men women and children are homeless in Hillsborough County on any given night
- 5 percent of those in Hillsborough County are known to be veterans
- Nationally, approximately one-third of the adult homeless population have served their country in the Armed Services.
What is the role of the Veteran Community Support Coordinator?
As the AmeriCorps Veteran Community Support Coordinator, Sandra Franklin serves as a reliable source in raising awareness of the homeless veteran population. Addressing the needs of veterans and their families under the Continuum of Care Plan Sandra works to organize the availability of shelter and services to meet the specific needs of veterans who are homeless as they move to stable housing and maximum self-sufficiency. There are three primary components to the role of the Veteran Community Support Coordinator:
- Coordinate: Provide program coordination and oversight of homeless outreach programs. Sandra helps to ensure comprehensive provision of services to the homeless veterans within the Hillsborough area through strengthening the network between community and partner agencies whom provide residential care for the homeless. This requires working closely with the various homeless service organizations, homeless task force and numerous community agencies to address the needs of the veteran population.
- Be a liaison: To bring the various agencies and local organizations together to work as a team. Identify each agency's strong attributes and collaborate a strategy to work toward the common goal of ending homelessness. Determine between the agencies what has created barriers to access of care.
- Peer Mentor: Work with veteran clients to ensure that their needs were met after completion of the veteran programs provided.
Are you interested in working to end veteran homelessness?
You might also find these resources helpful:
MAIN: 813-223-6115 | FAX: 813-223-6178 | P.O. BOX 360181, TAMPA, FL, 33673-0181 | firstname.lastname@example.org